1. In modern society, ambition is more and more important. How important is ambition for being successful in life? Is it positive or negative?
2. In the past, people store knowledge in the books. Nowadays people store knowledge on the internet. Do you think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?
3. Some people think that university should not provide theoretical knowledge, but give practical training that is beneficial to society. Do you agree or disagree?
4. Some people think that the government should establish free libraries in each town. Others, however, believe that it is a waste of money since the public can use the Internet at home to obtain information. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
5. Many people fail to achieve a balance between work and other parts of life. What causes the situation? How to overcome this problem?
6. Advertising encourages consumers to buy in quantity rather than promoting in quality. Do you agree or disagree?
7. People throw things away and buy new ones instead of repairing them and using again. What do you think may be the reasons for this? What problems might this cause in society?
8. The quality of life in big cities is decreasing. What are the causes and what actions should be taken to solve this problem?
9. Some people think family has great influence on children's development. Others, however, believe that other things, such as media, have greater effects. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
10. Some people think that if a police force carries a gun, it can lead to higher level of crime in that society. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
11. Some people think that environmental problems are too big for individuals to solve. Others, however, believe that the problems cannot be solved if individuals do not take actions. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
12. Some people who have been in prison become good citizens later. Some people think that they are the best people to talk to school students about the danger of committing a crime. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
13. Some people think teaching children different abilities together benefits everyone; others think intelligent children should be taught separately and given special treatment. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
14. Children's education is expensive. In some countries, the government pay some of or all of the costs. Do the advantages outweigh its disadvantages?
15. Some people believe countries have moral obligation to help each other; others worry about the aid money cannot get to the poor of this world. Discuss both sides and give your own opinion.